Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in other post, I bought a pre-owned Ranger 500 6x6. Tires all have a lot of tread but right front slow leak. Some are "dry rotted" right front the worst. I checked for leak and culprit is from some of the small cracks in the sidewall. So here is my question:

1. Would something like Slime fill in this kind of crack?,
2. How does everyone feel about tubing a front tire (if inflated properly should not spin, but I don't have experience)
3. Do I just plunk down the dough and get a new tire? (local tire price is $100 plus $10 or $15 to mount).

Advice all much appreciated.

PS I sure hate to waste a tire with so much good tread left on it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum! As for your question, I think slime would fill the leaks, but if they are dryrotted and cracking, I would be concerned with hitting something while riding (rock, log, etc) and causing the tire to come apart. If it were me, I would just buy new tires and have the peace of mind knowing they will be there when you need them. You should check our sponsors for a tire price before buying locally. Good luck!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Slime or fix a flat will work. You can put an inner tube in and that will work. My brother-in-law has a six wheeler he had to do that with. The only problem, is if the tire goes flat, the valve stem gets tore out. If using fix a flat, after initial inflation and running it for a little while, inflate the tire like you are trying to seat the bead and let the tire set for a few hours. This will force the slime or fix a flat in to the cracks. Then bring the tire back down to operating tire pressure. You can also put a boot in the tire. (talk to a tire shop) The only problem with these ideas is that pretty soon you have spent the money for what a new tire would cost. I know most of your items in Nome has a high freight charge, so that would influence your options. I have a car hauler that uses trailer house axles and wheels and some of the tires are checked. I put a can of fix a flat in each tire and it works. If you do have a flat tire, that pretty much is the end of the tire. Also mount the slow leak tire as the middle or back tire, the front is the worst place for it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You can find new pull offs at some dealership fairly cheap or check e-bay. Slime might work for a while but when you go get them removed to put a new set on don't take them to a tire place you normally use cause the mechanic will curse at you!

Josh

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yep, a tireman will scream, thats for sure. Just nod and say I'm sorry. He is not the one that has to walk out, though, if the tire goes flat. I carry a can of fix a flat and tire plugging kit in all of my toys. I don't like walking 20 to 25 miles because of a flat anymore. I am getting to be a wuz!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your help. I will likely buy a new tire, I just hate to waste a tire with a lot of tread on it. Maybe I could tube it and keep around for a spare, of course that means getting a new wheel but that should not be hard to come by.

thanks again,

Joe

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
For safetys sake get all new tires. Dry rott is a condition that could cause a tire to blow appart at the most inopportune time and be very dangerous.

Check with Big dog here, he often has take-offs and can do some great deals. Others too.

Your tires are the connection between you and the ground and should never be taken lightly.

I know how it is when you just don't have extra cash to dump but if my tires had rott and I had no cash then my machine would sit in the shed. Doctors bills and collision repairs are way more expensive.

If one is rotted then the others are probably not too far behind or in any better shape.

Gary

·
Registered
269 Posts
My tires had a lot of tire plugs in the and that didn't sit well with me. I bought the Harbor Freight tire changer and cleaned the slime out and patched where the plugs were. The tire changer was like 30-40 bucks and I did all six of mine and painted the rims also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the advice. After further consideration and looking at the other front tire I have decided to change both front tires. The rear ones do not seem bad and I figure with 2 on each side I have less chance of catastrophe should something happen to one of them. maybe next year I'll replace all 4 rear ones. Thanks again and I'll check the sponsors here to see what shipping to Nome might be like.

Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grazor You mentioned to check with "Big Dog" for some takeoffs maybe. I checked out Dirty Dawg, don't know if that is the same; but I don't see anything to do with tires. Please let me know who to contact.

thanks

Joe

·
Registered
563 Posts
Grazor was probably talking about Bigdog800efi Here's a link to his web site
http://www.foxvalleyatv.com/

·
Registered
563 Posts
Glad to see you are getting some tires. It has been a long time since I was a chichaco. Has breakup started yet?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Good pick up there Elk! thanks.

I hadn't realized we had 2 members who go by Bigdog but the bigdog800efi is correct and Fox valley is his business.

Normally, when some one refers a members name, just go to the members list up top and like in this case click on the Bs and then go down the list to find Bigdog.

I guess it's OK to have two Bigdogs in our pack, heck we even have a Dirty one! :2funny:

Gary

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, 2 Bigdogs that's what threw me off, I'll know that next time.

ELk: I have been in Nome a little over 2 years, lived in Cordova before and Juneau before that. 2 of my three kids are born here in Alaska. We just are on the tail end of breakup, glad to have some less mud than before. Ice is mostly out although west winds sometimes pushes back in. Beach is mostly free of soft snow. Where did you live in AK?

Joe

·
Registered
563 Posts
I lived in Wasilla during the 80's. I worked up on the slope during that time period. I remember that Deadhorse, Ak. Pouch JJ was the mailing address. I worked for a now defunct company called Frontier Companies of Alaska. They are the ones that moved a drill rig about 80 miles inland at Franklyn Bluffs to Drill site Suzy on the coast. Drill Site Suzy was renamed Discovery Well # 1 at Prudhoe Bay. We also built the causeway, airport at kuparuk, and many, many drillsites and CPF pads. I worked at Thetis Island, Kuparuk, Milne Point, Goose Island., Pt. Thompson and all points in between. I helped build several offshore gravel islands and many miles of ice road. That was in the last century in a land far, far away, and a time, long, long ago. I think of it as far far away land. I think Shrek was one of our foremen. One of the best graffiti I remember up there stated: "I wish I were where I was, when I was wishing I were here" It was appropriate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought a pair of Kenda Bear Claws ($120 freight included to Nome which is awesome). To buy just one tire here in town is $100. I hadn't heard of these before but the reviews I read are good. I had these mounted and so far it is doing very well for the type of riding I do.

Interesting what that slime (CarQuest's version) looks like inside the tire.

Thanks for all the advice.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts