Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see our Admin/sponsor has a pic of a way cool rear bumper on a Ranger, but the bigger question for me is how do you like those Swamp Lites, I am about to get something to help in the snow but at the same time transition in the trails..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Code said:
I see our Admin/sponsor has a pic of a way cool rear bumper on a Ranger, but the bigger question for me is how do you like those Swamp Lites, I am about to get something to help in the snow but at the same time transition in the trails..
I have had them on a Honda Rincon and now on My Ranger. I like them, they ride good on pavement, don't shake you to death and they have good traction. I do a lot of creek riding, and that would be the only comparison to slick stuff for me. Hopefully we will get snow and I can tell you how they do in the white stuff. I have 29.5's on mine.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Code said:
I think I have the same tires as yours but with the crusher wheels. So far, the stock optional tires seem to be great in the snow. I just set up the smaller take offs that came on it for ice fishing with the Kold Kutter Ice studs and will be checking them out in the next few weeks if the ice gets thick enough.

I'd be careful with going to large on the RZR unless you plan to add a lift kit in the near future. Lots of guys have mentioned they have broken axels if they push it too hard with the 29.5s. They make all sorts of after market upgrades but it is not quite as simple as just buying a big foot kit.

Here are the Kold Kutter Ice Studs.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Very true on the RZR breaking axles with large tires. You would want to upgrade to gorilla axles. Those tires kinda have the same tread pattern as the swamp lites, just not as big lugz. I never knew they had atv tires that you could use studs. I learn something every day.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He put screws in his stock tires, it works well..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey grazor I forgot to ask, as I suspect you've been able to ride in the snow now.. Whats your take with those MTR's in the snow.. You already know how I feel from other sites..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The studs are just a fancy sheet metal screw 1/2" long and can be used on any tire with high enough lugs.

Kold Kutter ice screws come in all sizes up to about 1 1/2" long depending on how high your lugs are.

They won't last long if you run them on pavement and they will rip out if you your not careful or try doing donuts.

I used them here on the stock wheels and tires that came on my RZR. I had them in the past on my Sportsman and for dragging an Ice fishing sled type shanty they are fantastic and work really great on glare ice. Just like a studded snow tire only alot more aggressive.

My RZR is a dual purpose machine so when the ice is safe I just switch wheels and tires and use it for hauling out my gear.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Code said:
Hey grazor I forgot to ask, as I suspect you've been able to ride in the snow now.. Whats your take with those MTR's in the snow.. You already know how I feel from other sites..
I think the MTRs work great in the snow as long as its not too deep that your skid is pushing the snow.

Sometimes around here if the snow gets too deep, we are dead and stinking with ATVs or SxSs.

When it gets much over a foot of snow you might as well stay home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
could of used those sheet metal screws today in the snow. but overall the 27" mudlites with 2.5" lift did pretty good. the lift made a difference had a friend with same tires no lift and he stugled in some areas.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
For out in the woods you are way better off just going to Home Depot and buying regular half or 5/8" sheet metal screws and screwing them in. You could probably buy a box of 500 for under $10 and wear them out.

These Kold Kutter ones are specially cut for real sharp edges and hardened to cut into ice very good but would get destroyed on rocks and ground. 500 would be right around $35-40 with shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts