Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Transmission issue

7K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  KWC 
#1 ·
I changed all my drive fluids and put in the specified 1.1L of Polaris tranny fluid and it was just starting to overflow from the oil level check hole facing towards the rear of the vehicle. It seemed normal. On my 1st ride which was under load it felt like I had 2 front flat tires. The road was severely chewed up behind me at only 5 mph. The oil dipstick was so hot I could hardly touch it but the motor oil was good. We walked back to camp and trailered it and checked the granny fluid and it was burnt really bad and down 1/4 of a L. I topped it up and ran fine under no load. I jacked up the front and back and all 4 x 4 modes worked fine. I'm scared. Anyone ever seen this? I'm going to drain and refill, go for a short ride and reckeck.

#2 ·
What year is your Ranger 900?
What is the name of the lubricant you used in the transmission?
What is the name of the lubricant you used in the front differential?
Were you in AWD when you took your ride?
Were you pulling a heavy load?

#3 ·
2014 w 3 riders in pockets of snow and some mud on and off. Working pretty hard and was going from 2wd to 4 wd as the conditions changed.
Main tranny- 1.1 L AGL Polaris transmission fluid,
Front diff - Polaris AGL demand drive fluid- 7.5 oz.

#7 ·
This was the 1st lil changes in the front and back ends. The front had normal wear and shavings and oil was consistent w mileage. In just worried there was too much back end damage from the way the engine was working OT and the way the rear tires were chewing up the road at low speed

#8 ·
It sounds like the front Hilliard unit didn't unlock.
It is rare for newer models to do that but it does sometimes happen.
When it doesn't unlock you need to put it in reverse and back up for 10 feet or so and that usually unlocks it.
If you found that piece of roll pin or it continues to not unlock it will have to come apart and be checked for maybe a broken roller cage and check the whole thing for wear or broken parts.

#14 ·
I changed all my drive fluids and put in the specified 1.1L of Polaris tranny fluid and it was just starting to overflow from the oil level check hole facing towards the rear of the vehicle. It seemed normal. On my 1st ride which was under load it felt like I had 2 front flat tires. The road was severely chewed up behind me at only 5 mph. The oil dipstick was so hot I could hardly touch it but the motor oil was good. We walked back to camp and trailered it and checked the granny fluid and it was burnt really bad and down 1/4 of a L. I topped it up and ran fine under no load. I jacked up the front and back and all 4 x 4 modes worked fine. I'm scared. Anyone ever seen this? I'm going to drain and refill, go for a short ride and reckeck.
Unless there is a leak transmission oil would not burn oil it might push it out the vent line. Manual calls for 44 oz. (1300 ml) of oil in transmission so might not have been full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.