Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back from riding this weekend and I think I have a serious problem with my transmission. When I take off, the transmission feels like it is slipping and jerking, and there is a horrible clunking sound that sounds like it is coming from the transmission. I plan on taking it in this week to get it looked at. Only 5 months old, so hopefully the warranty will cover it!!! Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same thing about the belt, and even had someone bring me a new belt, but when I took the side cover off, the belt was fine. That's what makes me think it is in the tranny.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
ALAG3 said:
We just got back from riding this weekend and I think I have a serious problem with my transmission. When I take off, the transmission feels like it is slipping and jerking, and there is a horrible clunking sound that sounds like it is coming from the transmission. I plan on taking it in this week to get it looked at. Only 5 months old, so hopefully the warranty will cover it!!! Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?
Make sure to Check out the Sponsors Warranty Deal. He said they could do Florida.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after a trip to the shop, the mechanic assured me I had burnt a belt, but that it just wasn't obvious with the belt still on the Ranger. I went back home and pulled the belt off, and sure enough, on the underside of the belt, it had an "hourglass" shape to one area. A new belt and I was in business! What a relief!!! I guess I will be picking up a new belt for a spare. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
50 Posts
When this topic has come up in the past, it was suggested that the 2008 models had different mounts than the prior years. This was suppose to eliminate belts breaking and I assume this problem also.

Is it simply wear and tear on the belt, or is it an alignment issue? How might this effect me, is what I am really after?

My machine is 2007 XP.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they did improve the mounts, but this belt was burnt evenly on both sides....I'll try to get some pictures posted later today....I found out that when it happened, my buddy had gotten stuck in the mud in high gear and just kept hammering the gas. The shop says that if I would use low gear in the mud, I would not burn up the belt. Makes sense, because if the tires aren't spinning and the rpm's are being increased, the belt is the weak link. Also, for 2008, the belt is different. it is supposed to be a little beefier than previous years. The part # is 3211118.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a picture of the "hourglass" shape on the inside of the belt. I turned the belt inside-out so it was easier to see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone I'm very new to the ranger forums how cool is this anyways I run a small engine repair shop and I have received a number of rangers lately not too many serious issues but I recently took in a 04 Polaris ranger 500 6x6 that shifted very easy but unfortunately everything was neutral so after checking over I noticed issue was internal I noticed after splitting trans open the output shaft drive gear has no splines or key way or anything now I've been thru tons of transmissions in my lifetime and I guess I'm wondering is there an updated design for this if so let me know because I'd rather not use the new pressed gear on shaft design that's offered seems prone to failure to me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts