Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The diesel shop did some research and talked to a Yanmar mechanic. They backed out the fuel screw 1-1/2 turns from stock. The mechanic said that the Ranger accelerates a lot quicker now, and gained maybe 2 mph. He said that the injectors in this engine will never be able flow enough fuel to be able to overheat the engine, so it's pretty safe to turn up the fuel without hurting anything.

Now she rolls the coal. LOL.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything under 1500F is fine. Mine's not near that hot.
Turning up the fuel makes a big difference. It accelerates a lot quicker. The diesel mechanic raised the RPMs up to about 3800, by adjusting that thing that looks like a little fire hydrant, above the fuel plunger adjustment screw. He said up to 4000 is about the limit for this engine. It certainly does smoke if you push the pedal to the floor, but the Ranger hardly makes any smoke and goes almost as fast if you only press the pedal about 85% of the way. So if you just don't mash it to the floor then you don't have to worry about a big cloud of smoke. The mechanic had the fuel plunger set at 1-1/2 turns out from stock. On flat ground the speedometer got up to 42 mph. Previously my top speed on flat ground was about 39. I then backed down the screw to 1-1/4 and my top speed went down to about 40, so I think I'll turn it up to about 1 3/8 and see what happens. Even at 1- 1/4 turns it still has lots more acceleration than stock, but not as much top speed as 1 1/2 turns. Anyway, I'm happy with the results. The engine isn't much warmer than it was before, even after a long drive at top speed. But I did buy a nice Pyrometer that I'll install later. I want to do some air box modifications too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just turned mine up to 3/4 and man what a huge improvement. I get my k&n tomorrow so I'll get back with ya on that one. But after reading this post I'm gonna turn mine up some more. I read the ppe turbo kit directions and it said 1.5 turns out with there turbo kit so I figured 3/4 was plenty safe. But it'll be cranking out some more tomorrow

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had to cut the little cover to access the fuel screw does anyone have a part number for that little cover and that special washer so that when I'm done I can put it back on. ( I'm still under warranty ).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sure they don't want to cover engine work when someone's had thier fingers in the pump ;D
With that said, if I had bought the diesel like I wish I had, I'd probably turn it up too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a previous diesel truck owner I just caution you to get your pyro installed ASAP. I don't know if this thing is turboed or not from the factory but you still don't want to melt anything past the cylinder head. 1500 degrees is the upper limit. i wouldnt go past 1300-1350 The way mechs catch extra fuel is to look for star scorch marks on top of the piston, other than that they will be clueless. Just turn your fuel back before service.
I'm all for unlocking power the factory left behind. It's hard to kill a diesel. The only other thing id look at is clutch upgrades. Awesome work bro. I love that diesel smoke!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed. Alot of black smoke without any boost to go with it means quite hot EGTs.

As for not being able to kill a diesel, I don't know if that's completely true since alot of people that play with them have killed them!

This yanmar is no exception. Talking with PPE performance they told me that fueling this engine past their reccomended specs (with turbo) can cause these engines to throw a rod. They didn't say weather or not they had the first hand experience, but I assume they found out just how much the little engine could take the hard way.

If you figure that the factory engine made 24 hp, and if you get the reccomended 5-10 hp PPE claims, then you're talking about a 20-40% improvment in power. I don't know many engines that can make more power than that reliably.

As for clutch upgrades, I talked with Dale at DDP about half a year ago, and he was in the process of seeing if he could upgrade the clutch. the few times I called him back he still hadn't made any progress on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agreed. Alot of black smoke without any boost to go with it means quite hot EGTs.

As for not being able to kill a diesel, I don't know if that's completely true since alot of people that play with them have killed them!

This yanmar is no exception. Talking with PPE performance they told me that fueling this engine past their reccomended specs (with turbo) can cause these engines to throw a rod. They didn't say weather or not they had the first hand experience, but I assume they found out just how much the little engine could take the hard way.

If you figure that the factory engine made 24 hp, and if you get the reccomended 5-10 hp PPE claims, then you're talking about a 20-40% improvment in power. I don't know many engines that can make more power than that reliably.

As for clutch upgrades, I talked with Dale at DDP about half a year ago, and he was in the process of seeing if he could upgrade the clutch. the few times I called him back he still hadn't made any progress on it.
POS POLARIS is absolutely correct. I was speaking more about the usual way a diesel runs and lasts, due to increased pressures, they are generally built better than a gas engine but I'd say just play it easy and learn what can and can not be done..... without detonating things.

·
Registered
19 Posts

He said its hard to kill not not able to kill a diesel.yo.my uncle was the valve train engineer on the 1998 to 2002 5.9 cummins in dodge

·
Registered
19 Posts
He said its hard to kill not not able to kill a diesel.yo.my uncle was the valve train engineer on the 1998 to 2002 5.9 cummins in dodge

Smoke is just to much fuel in the combustion causes smoke witch is un burned fuel

·
Registered
19 Posts
POS POLARIS is absolutely correct. I was speaking more about the usual way a diesel runs and lasts, due to increased pressures, they are generally built better than a gas engine but I'd say just play it easy and learn what can and can not be done..... without detonating things.
You don't get detonation in diesels

1 - 20 of 32 Posts