Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Polaris Ranger XP900. After about a hundred operating hours, found the starter-motor running after ignition turned off. The motor finally quit after presumably burning out. After the dealership replaced it, found that it now sometimes takes two to four tries with the ignition switch to get the new motor to operate; otherwise, just hear a click each time. Then following a few days of use after replacement, the motor once again was running after ignition shut-down. Fortunately, in the interim, I had installed a knife-switch on the negative battery terminal to quickly “kill” the starter if/when again necessary. After reconnecting the battery, the starter-motor did not resume running (i.e., as it properly should not have) . And the Ranger started up normally the next try. So before further operation (and potentially burning up another $477.93) --- any ideas what the problem(s) or solution(s) might be? Your input will be much appreciated! (The dealership is “clueless” about all this, and obviously they did not fix the original problem!) Richard

·
Registered
353 Posts
...or the starter relay may be sticking. Swap relays with the starter and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2015 Polaris Ranger XP900. After about a hundred operating hours, found the starter-motor running after ignition turned off. The motor finally quit after presumably burning out. After the dealership replaced it, found that it now sometimes takes two to four tries with the ignition switch to get the new motor to operate; otherwise, just hear a click each time. Then following a few days of use after replacement, the motor once again was running after ignition shut-down. Fortunately, in the interim, I had installed a knife-switch on the negative battery terminal to quickly “kill” the starter if/when again necessary. After reconnecting the battery, the starter-motor did not resume running (i.e., as it properly should not have) . And the Ranger started up normally the next try. So before further operation (and potentially burning up another $477.93) --- any ideas what the problem(s) or solution(s) might be? Your input will be much appreciated! (The dealership is “clueless” about all this, and obviously they did not fix the original problem!) Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s me (Richard) replying to my original post (starter continuously running and solenoid clicking). Thanks, Rockit401 and CCRay --- think you were/are right on. Replaced the starter solenoid (under $20 on eBay) and no further repeats of the two problems (“fingers crossed”) after several subsequent starts. Now realize that the problem was probably a sticky solenoid plunger, which could/would have caused BOTH problems! As mentioned above, the subsequently-installed knife-switch on the negative battery terminal saved me this time from another (nearly $500) starter. (IMHO, I highly recommend such knife switches [$12-14 on eBay] on any vehicle you own.) Again, THANKS for your input!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Glad to hear you are all fixed. The Polaris relays are terrible. My fuel pump relay sticks on after shutdown periodically. I hate to replace it with another sub-par OEM relay. Need to take mine to the auto parts store and have them find a cheaper/better solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts