Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is getting annoying. :mad:

The rear one is about to come apart. The front one seems good.

I would like to ask the rest of you if your rear u-joint has a grease fitting on it anywhere. Mine does not. The front one does and I have greased it, which is probably why it isn't in bad shape.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems I was hasty in my diagnosis. The u-joints are fine. The prop shaft is loose on the output stub from the transaxle. I also found where the grease fitting to grease the splines is supposed to be ... no fitting there, just a threaded hole. I don't know if the fitting got knocked off or was never there. I put a fitting in and put five pumps from my grease gun into it. Coasting down the little hill in my yard, I could no longer hear the knocking that alerted me to the problem.

Here's hoping this is fixed so easily.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully that was all it needed
Unfortunately not. The rear u-joint made no noise for most of a trip to Royal Blue before suddenly failing completely. Had to pull the driveshaft, which required removing the front diff and the front bumper.

Once it was out, we discovered it was one of the dreaded out-of-phase driveshafts, i.e. one end was 90 degrees off from the other. Have to fix that.

See here for an explanation:
DRIVE LINE PHASING

Also, the front u-joint, despite feeling solid, had NO GREASE whatsoever in any of the needle cups! I can't believe it hadn't just fallen apart.

On the plus side, replacement u-joints are commonly available. They are a standard 1000-series u-joint. I got some greasable NAPA ones that turned out to be made in the USA for $14.49/ea. The non-greasable Polaris ones are $48/ea.! Part # 338 should be good for most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

The new (and greased) u-joints and driveshaft re-phasing seem to have made a big improvement. The Ranger is a lot smoother now, particularly on deceleration, and it doesn't make that rumbling noise anymore when the front diff engages.

I am so happy. At the same time, I'm disappointed that Polaris would sell something with an improperly assembled driveshaft and such poor quality u-joints. This ordeal has made me reconsider whether I'd buy another one or recommend one to anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue with my 07 500 ranger, Dealer told me it had to be out of phase to help prevent vibration, but it was destroying the front output shaft and yoke splines. I correctly phased it with new yokes and u joints and no vibrations. I could not imagine making a shaft 45 degrees out of whack. What were they thinking?
Duhnis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry, not a reply but a question.
I'm trying to order a u joint and yoke replacement for my boyfriend's 2015 Polaris Ranger 900xp, the differential side NOT the engine side. However, not all parts state which they are.
What the heck is the difference and does it matter for this UTV??

Thanks so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts