Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a older ranger and asked me if I would be interested in buying it. The only info he gave me on it is that it's at least 10 years old, a 2 seater with a bed and camo color. It's not running at the moment. He believes it's the fuel pump because it wasn't running and he replaced the fuel pump with a cheap one from amazon and then it ran fine for a few weeks and then stopped again. Said it needs tires and a battery as well. I asked how much he wants for it as is but he just told me to make him a offer. I don't know anything about these machines, I can turn wrenches and work on most things but if I purchase it am I getting into some big issues with it? Or are these machines easy to troubleshoot and work on? I would only be interested in buying it if I got a great deal on it. What would one of these older machines be worth in this condition?

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you look up values right now, they will be higher than they have ever been. Value is going to be determined by what specific model it is more than they year. If it isn't in running condition (meaning that you can't get the engine to at least turn over and fire), then I would go into it assuming it needed an engine and only value it as a rolling chasis. I've already experienced the "it only needs a starter" headache personally and refuse to ever have that experience again.

Tires should be obvious with a visual inspection - wouldn't bother me as I usually would prefer a different one than on it anyway.

Battery - should be able to confirm with a jump pack, or jumper cables to get the engine to turn over, so minimal issue.

Fuel pump - a bit tricky here, but if it will fire on ether I would be more comfortable going ahead. If you can't get it to fire it could be any number of issues from very minor to very expensive.

You have to ask yourself, if it was something cheap and easy why didn't he just fix it (or at least bandaid it) and sell it off?

Also, how long has it been sitting? Possibility that mice got into it if it's been sitting long? How well does your buddy maintain his other things?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you look up values right now, they will be higher than they have ever been. Value is going to be determined by what specific model it is more than they year. If it isn't in running condition (meaning that you can't get the engine to at least turn over and fire), then I would go into it assuming it needed an engine and only value it as a rolling chasis. I've already experienced the "it only needs a starter" headache personally and refuse to ever have that experience again.

Tires should be obvious with a visual inspection - wouldn't bother me as I usually would prefer a different one than on it anyway.

Battery - should be able to confirm with a jump pack, or jumper cables to get the engine to turn over, so minimal issue.

Fuel pump - a bit tricky here, but if it will fire on ether I would be more comfortable going ahead. If you can't get it to fire it could be any number of issues from very minor to very expensive.

You have to ask yourself, if it was something cheap and easy why didn't he just fix it (or at least bandaid it) and sell it off?

Also, how long has it been sitting? Possibility that mice got into it if it's been sitting long? How well does your buddy maintain his other things?
Thanks, the engine will turn over just not fire. He said it's like its starving for fuel. As to why he hasn't fixed it and sold it, well they don't need the money and have another newer one so this one just sits. He originally asked if I wanted to take it home, fix it and sell it and we could split the profits. But I'd actually like to have it and use it at our ranch. So he's willing to sell it to me as is. I know the guy well and he's a honest guy, so if he was aware of something else being wrong he would tell me. I'm pretty sure he would let me have it for about $500 if I'm going to keep it. Not real sure on how long it has been sitting, less than a year for sure because he said the battery should still be under the one year warranty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible to spray some starting fluid into the throttle body (if it has one) or something to see if it will fire up briefly? Going to take my jump pack with me. Basically trying to see if I can rig it some way to see if it actually runs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is it possible to spray some starting fluid into the throttle body (if it has one) or something to see if it will fire up briefly? Going to take my jump pack with me. Basically trying to see if I can rig it some way to see if it actually runs.
yes, look for air filter cover. Remove air filter and give it a shot.

If you can get it that cheap, it would definitely be worth it. A set of decent stock wheel/tire takeoffs is probably worth $150.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, look for air filter cover. Remove air filter and give it a shot.

If you can get it that cheap, it would definitely be worth it. A set of decent stock wheel/tire takeoffs is probably worth $150.
Thanks, its a done deal I'll be picking it up next weekend. Will try troubleshooting the issue first before buying tires for it. If I can get it running good then I'll put more money into it, it not I'll sell it as is and hopefully get my money back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sure will, not sure what year or the size of the engine and hour count on it but I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it and hopefully get it up and running.

·
Registered
2003 Polaris Ranger 6X6
4 Posts
Wire the fuel pump directly to battery to see if it runs. Im having issues with my 2003, apparently. The fuel pump wiring runs throgh the harness and at some point some "black box" type thing.
When mine stops i use a small battery pack and fuel pump runs fine. I plan to hard wire via its own on/off switch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, picking it up later today and will most likely have to get a battery tomorrow for it so I can start troubleshooting it. Not really sure to what to expect when I get there to pick it up. Have no idea on the condition of what it looks like. But for $150 I feel like I can't pass it up.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts