Polaris Ranger Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Had a little free time yesterday so decided to remove the front bumper to clean up a bit and give it a coat of paint with some good ole rustoleum I had laying around. Also tried making the black plastic in the front look a little better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Something I noticed recently and not sure if it was happening before I replaced the primary clutch and belt is that when letting off the gas pedal and coming to a stop without pressing the brake pedal the machine will make a noise when coming to a dead stop. It's like a higher pitch noise, hard to describe. I feel like it might be coming from the clutch area but not sure. It doesn't make the sound until it gets down to the lower speed right before it's about to come to a stop on it's own. If I use the brakes I don't hear the noise.

I jacked up the rear and put it in gear as if I was driving it to see if I can get a better look at where it might be coming from but doesn't do it while jacked up. Any ideas what might be going on here?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is it free wheeling? If so the whining is likely the bearing on the primary spinning when the belt drops down and rides on it. I only experience this going down hill when the engine rpm drops down and the machine goes into freewheel. It's actually slower in L if I bump the gas a bit and keep the rmps high enough to keep the belt engaged.

Do you know if your secondary helix has the engine brake notch? Maybe some helpful reading to explain. Polaris Engine Braking Explained

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Is it free wheeling? If so the whining is likely the bearing on the primary spinning when the belt drops down and rides on it. I only experience this going down hill when the engine rpm drops down and the machine goes into freewheel. It's actually slower in L if I bump the gas a bit and keep the rmps high enough to keep the belt engaged.

Do you know if your secondary helix has the engine brake notch? Maybe some helpful reading to explain. Polaris Engine Braking Explained
I think it's free wheeling like you mentioned. When I was going down my drive way just under RPM it kind of made that whining, It happens when coming to a stop with no brakes. If I use the brakes then it doesn't whine. Is the free wheeling bad? The whining doesn't bother me I just don't want to be causing any damage to the machine.

The secondary clutch is a Raid Reaction.

Seems like this is what I have. Taken from the link you posted above.

"Least Braking: Any vehicle with a Rapid Reaction secondary clutch and two way primary bearing, you can't add a one way bearing to this and get engine braking, once again you have to have the EBS secondary. So with these vehicles you get engine braking down to somewhere in the 10-15 mph then it free-wheels and you hear a whirring noise which is the primary bearing spinning under the belt, all normal. The vehicles that have this are the most and instead of telling you which do, I will tell you which have the other two levels and if yours is not in those list then you have this."

·
Registered
610 Posts
Without being there, I'd be willing to bet so. It doesn't hurt anything, just makes noise. The only time I can think it may be an issue is extended downhill run where no engine braking means using the brakes to the point the fluid gets hot and you get brake fade. I've only experienced it a couple of times with my RZR riding around Windrock mountain. I've learned to use the throttle more for controlled decent in L to help with that situation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I finally have the ranger where I'm happy with it. I'm debating if I should list it for sale locally. I really don't need it but could use it during hunting season. Although I've hunted for years without one so not sure what to do. What do you guys think it could possible sell for? Trying to figure out at what profit would it be worth selling. Here are some pics I took yesterday after cleaning it up a bit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Where I hunt it's thick brush so have to walk through it all to track the deer/hog then drag it out by hand. The closest I can get with a UTV is the same as I can get with my truck. I'm still unsure what I will do. Hard thing for me is not having the room to keep it properly stored when I get my car back from the paint and body shop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
FWIW, if you need a way to haul it around as well, an enclosed trailer will double as a storage garage for it.
I have a 16ft open trailer that we use for our tractor but thought about the enclosed trailer idea already. Issue is not enough room in my driveway to park it. Still trying to figure out what options I can take.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I might replace the throttle cable on it and was looking through the service manual to find the steps needed to take. I can't find it anywhere in the manual. Is it called something else other than throttle cable?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Well I ended up selling the Ranger yesterday to a older gentleman who lives on some acreage on the outside of town. I had just ordered the throttle cable so told him as soon as I get it I'd drop it off to him. He was pretty happy with the machine. I was a little sad to see it go but he will get way more use out of it than I would and I made a pretty decent profit off it.

Thank all of you for all the help and advice. You guys are great and I do plan on looking for another one a little down the road when my brother has his shop built at his house. I'll be able to keep it in there rather than stored outside.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts