Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting an aluminum welder for quite some time. I have a Millermatic 175 mig welder already, and have used it to weld aluminum with about 20% success rate. The problem I was having, was once I would strike an arc, the wire would ball up in the welder.

I looked at spool guns, and they want as much for them as I paid for the welder.

I solved the problem by switching to .035 diamter wire instead of .030. The extra thickness makes it easier to push through the gun without balling up.

Just make sure you speed up the wire feed and turn the heat down from where you normally weld mild steel.

I was playing around with it tonight, and had 100% success.

Thought I would post this for anyone who has the small mig welders who want to try this.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yes, Aluminum gets hot quick and you need to weld low heat and fast wire speed. Great tech tip 2005DMAX . One reason I don't use my mig to weld aluminum is the hassle of changing it over. I hope to purchase a tig pretty soon and a small press brake.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I did not change the feed tube. You really should, since you can get some contamination from the steel wire used before. Yes, for aluminum you need to use straight argon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts