Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Went out yesterday and oops!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Orange 
#1 ·
We went riding yesterday, it was no warmer than 20. Was going down a steep hill and oops there goes the front brakes. Back end was heading toward the front. Our buddy in another ranger was in front of us and wham hit him in the rear. Boy where they surprised. All is ok no damage. We think the front brakes may have froze up after going through some water. Haven't had a chance to inspect them way to cold last night. It seems unlikely that they would be warn out we only have 780 miles on the machine. Anyone else have an idea?

#2 ·
I have had my front brakes ice up before on my King Quad while plowing snow, so it is possible they did ice over. Have you checked the brake fluid level? While decending a steep grade, I always switch to 4X4 which helps with the engine braking.

#3 ·
I would guess they froze up. I do a lot of mud riding and worn the pads till there was no pad and the brakes would still stop with no problem even though it was metal to metal.

#6 ·
Yelp were we in 4x4 - on a second down hill in 4 low. Even on flat groung the rear end wanted to stop - front end wanted to keep going. I feel they were iced over as well. We will check it out this weekend hopefully it will be a little warmer so everything will have time to thaw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.