Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a meeting here last night and finalized our plans. We will be 8 total comming from here and the dates are May 5,6,7,& 8.

I will add the name of the place we are staying as soon as my buddy sends me the info and finalizes the reservation.

I sure hope some of you guys can come for the ride.

Keep me posted in this thread and lets see if we can have a good meet.

Gilbert WV is at the very southern tip and close to McDowell county so I sure hope Cathead and Big orange can make the ride.

Gary

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just now got the camp ground/cabin place web site info and have not even been to it yet.

www.twinhollowcampground.com .

I think you could get a pretty good idea of how far by just typing in Gilbert WV area.

Gary

·
Registered
373 Posts
We rented a house in Gilbert last time we were there. Linsay's Cozy Rentals. Three bedroom house for the cost of one hotel room for the week, Swimming pool and a hot tub. Also some of the nicest people I ever met.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As far as I know we will be there to meet up with you guys. It's about an hour or so from us. We are planning a charity poker run the weekend of the 17th so that is the only thing that may prevent us from making it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We CANCELLED our plans!

A few may still go but the rules for the RZR force us to stay on the green or easy trails while most of the guys on quads want the blues and black trails.

We can't find any lodging that will accept my dog and the big reason we find interesting since most of us are smokers is the SMOKE FREE deal from a state that sure has profited from the tobacco industry. NO LECTURE necessary!

We will keep searching for other places to ride where the government doesn't fell such a strong need to protect us from ourselves!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to their site and read the special rules for Side X Sides and the fines section for violations!

http://www.trailsheaven.com/about/trailrules.aspx

It sure seems to me like they roll out the welcome matt for us to come but it ends at the front door of the court house!

I have heard a hundred times about guys going and riding all the trails yet these are the current rules posted today and I don't have the money or desire to test them.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's what I was talking about when I PM'd you about me having to stay on the green trails. 'Course, the wuss that I am that would probably suit me to a T. There are so many free trails to ride here in my back door I may never make it to the HM Trail........haha.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Big said:
With ya cathead! We have got to hook up and ride sometime.
That would be fun. I will feel better about this area after I have explored a little more and am able to know where things are and where they're goin'.......haha.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exploration is always good and one thing I find indespensible on my RZR is a Garmin GPS loaded with the area topigraphical maps.

Once you get the hang of it you will see that it tells you where you are going and where you have been so you are never lost, can always get back to where you started and even store nice rides as routes that can then be downloaded on to your computer and shared with others.

The Garmin Rino models have very good two way radios with a great feature. If your pal has a Rino and calls you on his radio, his exact position shows up on your screen and you can both then find each other out in the middle of nowhere even when you can't describe in words exactly where you are.

We have gone out riding at night on very familiar trails we all know very well. Got hit with a furrious snow storm that quickly covered all the trails and even brought all the tree branches down to almost completely conceal where the trails turns were. In reality we were lost in the middle of nowhere and missed alot of the turns that we needed to make to get home. My GPS had every inch of our travel stored and all I had to do is hit track back and it guided us right back to our vehicles. Even the very inexpensive ones will do that and are worth every penny when you are going to new places or old ones that might have many turns along the way.

If you have ever seen a Pine forest when it snows then you know what happens when branches that are always above your head suddenly get heavy and are now touching the ground.

Gary

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have a GPS - but I haven't had the time to figure out how to use the thing. I have the topo maps...we have taken it with us a few times but I still can't figure the thing out. I would love to find some sort of class that teaches GPS.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, they can be pretty confusing but if it is a Garmin then they probably have a VHS tape or DVD disc that will teach you how to use all the functions and what it all means.

My understanding is that they are becomming more user friendly and simpler to work these days then the older ones.

Tell me what brand and model you have and I will see what I can find for you.

I'm no wizard with mine either but I can get home with it and I can do some of the stuff on my computer and then transfer it to the unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts