Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty country and lots of terrain. If you want to ride this way let us know.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Another newbie here from West Virginia. Got hundreds of miles of mountain trails right in my back door and I'm within 25 miles of 3 Hatfield-McCoy trailheads.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thats real cool guys! We try to make an annual run down to the Logan area if we can get it together.

It's usually just a bunch of NY Yanks invading the Hatfield & McCoys but we always have a blast.

I might have to call upon you for some lodging info if we can get a time when we are comming down.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's crazy but we have never rode the H&M Trails. Guess we really have never had anyone to ride with down that way. Lots of trails in our back yard as well. We will ride anywhere. Always ready to go.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You raise a good point but being from out of state we always found it smarter to ride where we know we won't be in trouble.

Up here if you get caught on state owned land or get busted trespassing on private property then you face some serious fines and your machine can get impounded.

How that would be down there with a bunch of Yahoos out of NY might get ugly!

I know from my short time living in Belfry, KY that those hills are filled with trails and great places to ride but I also know you don't want to venture where you don't belong.

I missed a ride up here last year because I didn't have an ATV or SxS to go with. One of the guys who rides the trails all the time set it up. About 3/4 of the way through a gorgeous piece of woods they ran into a County Mounty road block and all got busted. These are all guys that live right here and every one of them ended up paying close to $1000 in fines for trespassing. Two of them had their machines impounded for not being registered and insured which is the law here.

Back in my outlaw days and on my dirt bike I went just about anywhere I felt like but I never did stop or allow myself to be caught. It's not quite the same now and every time I see a group of ATVers pass my house I know they are heading to the state land not far from me and I also know the next day a cop will be in my driveway warning me not to do it again or if he catches me it will be expensive. I'm at a point where I get pretty nasty with them because I know the deal and my machine has never been on the state land--EVER.

Just be very careful when you take others for rides on property that is not your own or you don't have permission to be on.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How that would be down there with a bunch of Yahoos out of NY might get ugly!
Haha.....just don't believe everything you see in the movies (Deliverance for example)....haha. Here in McDowell County, WV there are a lot of old trails just wide enough for a side x side. I am assuming they are old logging trails. Then, there are a lot of wider roads made by gas companies. Everybody rides these trails and roads with no problems. I have seen places within 2 miles of my house now I have never seen in my life, and I am 55 years old. Here's a little video I took of some sights within a mile of my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfqbn-DLniE

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Real Nice and the same as up in Mingo County where I was.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same goes for where we ride. (mostly - Kanawha, Roane, Clay, Nicholas ...) People have been riding this country for years. Most of it is old Carbide property, gas right of ways, coal mines and a few old dirt county roads. Its common place no one says much because we all use it. We only ride where we feel it is safe and ok to be there. If we find a gate we respect it and go the other way. Around here as long as you respect the land there really isn't much to worry about. One of these days when I get my act together I will post some pics. Every now and then you have to share the road with a bear, deer or a turkey.

·
Registered
345 Posts
That sure is some pretty country up there....all we have down here in Florida is flat land, sand and dust!!! A co-worker of mine just retired and moved up there to W. Virginia. He sent me some pics of the first snow and the pics were breathtaking. Now, I don't want to be out in it, but it looks awesome!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That sounds just about right! "A co-worker of mine (From Florida) just retired and moved up there to W. Virginia".

Guess if you live in NY you retire to Florida and if you live in Florida then you also get out of there as quick.

I went from NY to FL and then to KY/WV and then right back home to NY.

The grass always looked greener elsewhere but never was.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is funny - it seems half our retirement community moves from WV to Florida - guess everything comes full circle in the end.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a good friend in Central Florida (Coleman), and we have probably been there 30 times. We were there this past October. I had a place bought there, but the lady backed out right at the last minute. I went out to Melbourne in October and bought an upright bass at a place called Atlantic Strings. I would love to have a get-away place there, but man, I would sure miss these mountains.....not the snow nor the cold.......just the mountains.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think people just get sick of the same old BS, so they move somewhere else for a new kind of BS!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know what you mean cathead 77- my mind tells me to leave but my heart tells me to stay. I wouldn't miss the cold but I would miss the people, mountains and riding here. So guess what I am staying put for awhile. I guess I will stay where my heart tells me. My grandmother used to got to Melbourne for the winter with her best friend. Her friend passed away so she stays here now.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Gorgeous discussion! I could not get out of NY fast enough after 9/11 and Hillary came to town.

Got to Florida and could not stand the flat and the heat and found very few friends.

Went to the border of WV & KY and loved the weather and terrain but again, it wasn't home!

I honestly can't say I am happier here but I know I am home and where I grew up with the few friends & family I have left.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts