Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked to look at building a pack powered heater for a 2012 Ranger thats just about to be totally rebuilt and get a Li ion pack.
My Thoughts
Heater unit under the bonnet blowing into the cab.
Heater in the cab
Heater under the seat blowing into the cab.
Space heating only
De frost of screen.

Fixed heat output,
Variable heat output
Fixed fan speed
Variable fan speed

(Fan speed also has an effect on overall heat output, slower airflow less heat output)
Timer to ensure limited power consumption
Hot water
Direct heated air.

Any thoughts as to what you would both like and think would work would be helpful. Owing to the potential to consume perhaps 2kw/hr at full capability I would only consider these to go onto a suitable Li ion equipped version of the ranger.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Customer is always right, but some problems aren't worth engineering for. I'd just mount this in :

It has an oxygen sensor, so it's safe to use in enclosed spaces. They also sell an extension hose that hooks up to a regular BBQ tank which can be mounted elsewhere on the Ranger.

·
Super Moderator
395 Posts
Heating a Ranger EV

Perhaps heating the seat and steering wheel would provide a level of comfort the customer is seeking without draining the battery. Or, how about heated snowmobile or motorcycle pants and jackets?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Maybe this one. I dont have or want a enclosed cab on my EV but i would consider one of these. only time i ride mine in the cold is deer season and it really doesnt get that cold here in MS for many days in a row.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back to my question, Im not seeking alternative kit, but asking some specific questions. The customer wants a heated cab, Im looking to see what features people would see most useful. And how unobtrusive the install should be.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Keeping windshield clear is all that matters first off and he residual heat will get to the driver
I have a simple 12V electric one mounted to roof pointed down at windshield with no issues

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I put it here as its really only for an EV as the heater will be Pack driven, but what people would want from a heater is as yu suggest a wider requirement. So worth doing. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
395 Posts
If I had a Heater in my Ranger EV

1. On/Off switch
2. Heat Intensity control; High, Medium, Low
3. Fan speed control; I think I would prefer a rheostat type rather than the type that provided 1,2,3 levels
4. Defrost mode for front windscreen
5. A built in control that when the pack reaches 30% discharge the heater is turned off

Hope this helps you work with your customer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think number 5 is a really good point.

On the fan speed, thats dependant on the type of fans being used. Unfortunately many of the fans readily available are related to the PC Cooling fans and some are hard to change speed externally . But it is possible, and an infinite control is actually easier to achieve than discrete steps.
Thanks for the comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts