Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if 31" Outlaw tires will fit on the 08 XP without installing a lift? I am interested in getting more ground clearance & traction tires without sacrificing the angle of the axle shafts. I am willing to also install offset wheels w/ spacers. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got 28's on mine and that was just about to big so i put a 2 inch lift on it.My buddy has got 31's on his and had to go with a 3 inch lift and sometimes when its twisted up it still rubs a little.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HF said:
oiltech,did u every put bigger wheels and tires on the ranger?

Heath
No I did not....I am concerned of ruining shafts, joints etc. I am on the fence on this issue. I want the lift, tires & wheels but my concious says don't do it. What is your opinion?

·
Registered
452 Posts
well u can break axles and joints without a lift but it depends on the type of riding ur going to do.i've got a friend that has 28's and a 2 inch lift for about 2 years now and hasnt had any problems with his.he use his mainly on the farm and hunting and hasnt broke nothing yet.i was like u when i got my ranger but decided to go with my buddy's set up.if it breaks i'l just fix it.

Heath

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HF said:
well u can break axles and joints without a lift but it depends on the type of riding ur going to do.i've got a friend that has 28's and a 2 inch lift for about 2 years now and hasnt had any problems with his.he use his mainly on the farm and hunting and hasnt broke nothing yet.i was like u when i got my ranger but decided to go with my buddy's set up.if it breaks i'l just fix it.

Heath
For me it is all about ground clearance & not getting stuck or as least as possible anyway. In S. Louisiana it is mud & ruts. The reason for purchasing the Ranger was for the upcoming hunting season(s). We aquired a goose & duck lease in Klondyke rice fields which is premier hunting. I will have to carry clients, guns, shells, decoys & whatever else to the blinds and all I had was a Honda 450. HOWEVER there is nothing wrong with a bit of mud riding during the off season. Learning from the Honda which is a very durable machine the solid rear axle is not worth a flip in the ruts.
Mark

·
Registered
452 Posts
if ur going to leave it like it is i would get me a 4500 lb viper max winch and put on it.if it was me i would jack it up and throw some mud tires on it.

Heath

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HF said:
if ur going to leave it like it is i would get me a 4500 lb viper max winch and put on it.if it was me i would jack it up and throw some mud tires on it.

Heath
I ordered the 4500 Viper winch yesterday w/ the green Amsteel cable & it shipped out today. I read in this thread that you would have to extend the A Arms & put a 3" lift in order to install 31's. Do you know if this is correct? I had called the well known named company in N. Louisiana a while back to inquire & the saleman did not know & said he would check into it. He never called back. Soooo my question is who really knows what has to be done if 31's are installed? Why didn't you put larger than 28's? Are 31's w/ a 3" lift really too large for the factory axles & joints meaning the angle being too great? Don't mean to be a pest but I really don't want to be sorry later for not asking questions before.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
452 Posts
the main reason i went with the 28's and 2 inch lift is because if i go any bigger it wont go in my garage but for what i use it for thats big enough for me.u can run 28's on a stock ranger because i did on mine.theres a guy around here thats got a ranger with 31's and a 3 inch lift but i dont no if he's running off set a-arms or stock axles.i'l find out this weekend exactly what he's running on his and let u no.

Heath

1 - 10 of 10 Posts