Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me your opinions on why a full cab utv is better than getting a Jeep.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son shoots competitive sporting clays and only golf carts/UTV's are allowed on course
There's one more to add to my list. They don't allow Jeeps on most orv trails is a big one. What about offroad capability in general.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also have a jeep... Hard to compare offroad capability since there are a gazillion different options to upgrade each platform to make them extreme. I think the upgrades seem to be a little less expensive but Ranger will always win in the weight category and Jeep will always win in the power category.. except in the most extreme situations, they're both very capable offroad

·
Registered
18 Posts
I considered many options before I landed on a ranger. The deciding factors were the number of 64” trails where I like to play and hunt. As well as the cost of putting tracks on it and the ease of rescuing the vehicle from the snow if need be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have both and use them for totally different reasons. Hell, everybody should have both. Not sure the ranger could pull out the tractor with a broken hydraulic line up the hill...but maybe it could have.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
What about the ROXOR ? looks like a jeep BUT is an UTV. Like $16,000 I think.
I've never understood how Polaris sells UTV's for $25,000. or more. Buy a 2021 Subaru Forester-air bags-heat-ac-safety this and safety that- drive it coast to coast for $25,000. or buy a UTV ? Makes no sense cost wise. But people buy them and Polaris keeps the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What about the ROXOR ? looks like a jeep BUT is an UTV. Like $16,000 I think.
I've never understood how Polaris sells UTV's for $25,000. or more. Buy a 2021 Subaru Forester-air bags-heat-ac-safety this and safety that- drive it coast to coast for $25,000. or buy a UTV ? Makes no sense cost wise. But people buy them and Polaris keeps the price.
I'm with you on this. I ordered an XP1000 Premium for $17,500 and struggling to keep the order the more I think about how much I'm spending on a toy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I asked the question because I saw an add for a really nice 97 Jeep with all the upgrades you ask for including a snorkel and commercial rebuilt engine for 9,000 bucks. Very tempting plus I could throw a few thousand dollars into it and still be way under the Polaris. Limited trail access is the biggest downside.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That said, my Ranger 500 with independent suspension is always smoother than my LJ with coils and solid axles. They’re really two totally different machines

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A YJ with leaf springs is a downside IMO. Rough riding trails, a Polaris wins in a smoother ride.
Thanks that's the kind of information I need to hear. I looked more closely at the "97" Jeep pics and it looks like the floorboards are rusting out. I don't have a garage, tools and knowledge to do major work on a vehicle so I will have to buy newer and pay for an extended warranty. Ignorance is not bliss.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks that's the kind of information I need to hear. I looked more closely at the "97" Jeep pics and it looks like the floorboards are rusting out. I don't have a garage, tools and knowledge to do major work on a vehicle so I will have to buy newer and pay for an extended warranty. Ignorance is not bliss.
my mistake, I wasn't fully awake. a 97 is a TJ with coils, not leaf springs. But it is still a rougher ride than ranger.
Totally agree.. Rust - walk away unless you're skilled and have a welder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My main reason was its easier to trailer/tow the 19 XP1000 Ranger. I had both and ended up selling my YJ. The Ranger is more maneuverable and it rides better than my 21 Dodge Longhorn.

The benefit of the Jeep is its a street legal and can be used on "No Off Hwy Vehicle trails in Calif. Don't get me started on the CA No OHV trails........they make no sense!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts