Polaris Ranger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
some if not most states will not allow Jeep’s on the state trails. Also some states consider a UTV a recreational vehicle just like a boat so you can have an open beer in the UTV while driving

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have a Northstar premium on order since March 8 and I still have a bit of sticker shock. I'm 60 years old so this is a good way to get out there in some wild country in comfort. And a new source of entertainment since I have never owned an atv/utv. In a Walter Mitty kind of way it might come in handy if the Dems totally destroy the country as a bugout vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tell me your opinions on why a full cab utv is better than getting a Jeep.
No brainer. UTV, of course. Much cheaper and you can do work around house more efficiently.
You're comparing apples & oranges, what an odd question.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My main reason was its easier to trailer/tow the 19 XP1000 Ranger. I had both and ended up selling my YJ. The Ranger is more maneuverable and it rides better than my 21 Dodge Longhorn.

The benefit of the Jeep is its a street legal and can be used on "No Off Hwy Vehicle trails in Calif. Don't get me started on the CA No OHV trails........they make no sense!
My northstar's street legal. All you need is a horn & rearview mirror ($100).. Calif is a liberal state & they dont even manage the forests or water. It's all about watering golf courses & mansions there. I hope California drops off the coast or burns to a cinder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Northstar premium on order since March 8 and I still have a bit of sticker shock. I'm 60 years old so this is a good way to get out there in some wild country in comfort. And a new source of entertainment since I have never owned an atv/utv. In a Walter Mitty kind of way it might come in handy if the Dems totally destroy the country as a bugout vehicle.
I have a 19 Northstar 3 seat & thinking of upgrading to the 22 NS crew Ultimate with my trade. The store didnt bother ordering 21s & decided to offer the 22s for 21 pricing. I'm same age, retired 3 yrs ago so this is my part of "playing hard". Freaking $31k base. Whew

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No brainer. UTV, of course. Much cheaper and you can do work around house more efficiently.
You're comparing apples & oranges, what an odd question.
Cheaper than what? I see many fixed up Jeeps for 14 to 16 grand that's a lot cheaper than a Northstar. For reasons already stated I'm pretty sure that the Polaris is a better fit for what I want to do. Another concern is whether you will be able to get parts for your Polaris if something breaks that has to be OEM parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I asked the question because I saw an add for a really nice 97 Jeep with all the upgrades you ask for including a snorkel and commercial rebuilt engine for 9,000 bucks. Very tempting plus I could throw a few thousand dollars into it and still be way under the Polaris. Limited trail access is the biggest downside.
Comparing Apple & Oranges. The 2 are totally different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cheaper than what? I see many fixed up Jeeps for 14 to 16 grand that's a lot cheaper than a Northstar. For reasons already stated I'm pretty sure that the Polaris is a better fit for what I want to do. Another concern is whether you will be able to get parts for your Polaris if something breaks that has to be OEM parts.
No comparison between the 2. You're talking about a used jeep for $14k-$16k. Try buying a new jeep for that. I'd never buy used anything. If you want cheap, buy used. In the long run you'll probably end up spending the price of the new Polaris. I don't like being "On the Cheap".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'll bet a good used Jeep is more reliable than a new northstar from what I've been reading. That's what's been bugging me, folks have new machines with codes sidelining the machine ,blown belts, clutches grenade, axles snapping I'm sure I'm forgetting a few common complaints. You get the point. I and others are asking themselves why are these worth the money. Would you buy a car that has a track record like that. They are both offroad vehicles apples to bigger apples, they both have all season cabs ( northstar) by now you know I'm favoring the UTV for the recreational opportunities not available in a Jeep, I hope that the Unit I get will not be a lemon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tell me your opinions on why a full cab utv is better than getting a Jeep.
Just buy both and use the one best suited for the ride or job. ( Jeep Rubicon and 2021 Northstar Ultimate Trail Boss). Neither takes the place of the other. Both are used 50% on pavement and 50% off pavement.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A jeep isn't an UTV or ATV , I've owned several Jeeps and several atv's and utv's. I guess you can say the price is all relative as a customer of mine from Vermont stopped yesterday. Paper plate still on the two door jeep wrangler, I talked to him about the shortage of trucks and he said Jeeps too. He and his wife traveled over to Maine to buy the wrangler they wanted and there wasn't one in VT or NH. And they paid the sticker price take it or leave it. $46,000. For A Jeep. Crazy.
My 2014 900XP I bought new and there were few on the lots to be found at the time. I paid $14,000.
then the next couple years I added 'stuff' of course. Windshield(s) $800.,roof $300., canvas doors $900., aluminum doors $600.,lift $300.,Elka shocks $1200., tires&wheels $1000., tool box $250., plastic bed cover $300.,head liner $100.,sound deading kit $100. ,winch $200. mossy oak camo wrap $50., mirrors $100., Dura clutch $1200., its not the price of the machine its the add on's. LOL. I'm sure I've forgotten other stuff I've bought for it too.

Reactions: Q man

·
Registered
61 Posts
UTV‘a are way more nimble and sporty than a Jeep. And I feel they are the just the right size for exploring trails you never been on. Been on a few with my truck(yes not a jeep) and had to back up a long way to get turned around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Northstar Ultimate 3 seat on order to update my '18 XP 1000 because my main use is for hunting, gathering sap for my maple business and of course cruising in the summer with my 2 young sons. The heat and full cab will be amazing after a long, cold and wet day of hunting. Drive to where I dragged the deer to the trail load it up and not have to worry about the animal getting dirty and full of mud from dragging like i use to do with an atv. For the Jeep guys im not worried about blood making a mess or where to put the deer for the journey back to camp and yes the heat, radio and windshield wiper be on while driving to camp. Also my stock setup on the 18' XP 1000 goes through some nasty terrain during hunting season that a stock Jeep would struggle and take twice as long to get to the destination, in my opinion. Onto Maple season.. there is no possible way a Jeep will fit the trails in my sugarbush without cutting the precious maples trees. I use tracks because we get a ton of snow in northern upstate NY. The jeep would probably struggle pulling a trailer and a 350 gallon tank full of sap through the snow and mud without serious modifications. My current 18' XP 1000 has over 3000 miles and 3 maple seasons of working the woods and gathering over 50,000 gallons of sap. It is still running the original belt, cv joints, axels, etc. The only thing that is not original is the brake pads. Now my tractor doesn't haul sap anymore because the Ranger with tracks is unbelievable in all conditions. I honestly would sell the tractor if the Ranger had a bucket and rear pto so I could run 3pt hitch implements. Then lastly the smile on my boys faces when we can turn on the ac and radio in a dust free cab on those 80 degree hot humid summer days when we are out exploring the backwoods. Those smiles and memories we will be making are absolutely priceless!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
[/QUOTE]
gathering over 50,000 gallons of sap. It is still running the original belt, cv joints, axels, etc
Thanks that's reassuring, I have to remind myself that forums have posts that are largely about those with broken machines not the ones with years of trouble free use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have learned over the years from first hand experiences that a lot of the breakage comes from operator abuse. Now that i am older and realize there is more to life than beer and gasoline my machines seem to be trouble free and still look good when its time to trade up. And all those years I thought the machines I owned were junk lol!!

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP Northstar Premium - Pursuit Camo
30 Posts
A Jeep and a Ranger aren't even in the same ballpark, one is a luxury highway vehicle like a car and the other is a dirty, loud thing to rip around the trails on. Kind of silly to compare them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What about the ROXOR ? looks like a jeep BUT is an UTV. Like $16,000 I think.
I've never understood how Polaris sells UTV's for $25,000. or more. Buy a 2021 Subaru Forester-air bags-heat-ac-safety this and safety that- drive it coast to coast for $25,000. or buy a UTV ? Makes no sense cost wise. But people buy them and Polaris keeps the price.
I'm retired and can afford a $25k UTV. If you don't agree or understand, thats ok. Isn't this a great country?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have learned over the years from first hand experiences that a lot of the breakage comes from operator abuse. Now that i am older and realize there is more to life than beer and gasoline my machines seem to be trouble free and still look good when its time to trade up. And all those years I thought the machines I owned were junk lol!!
What do you use for an evaporator Swampbuck ?? And how many taps ??

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm retired and can afford a $25k UTV. If you don't agree or understand, thats ok. Isn't this a great country?
I'm certinly not trying to persuade anyone from buying a Northstar (I'll try not to show my jealousy)
My not understanding is the cost Polaris charges is my point.
I think everyone should buy what they can afford or what they need for the job. Yes this country is great.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts