Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed a 3500 pound Badlands winch on my 2015 Ranger 570, and it absolutely murders the battery. Is it normal for the winch to only be able to run about a minute or max 2 minutes before the battery is so low the gauges turn off? I’ve even had it kill the engine from just 30-45 seconds of winching. (Not constant)
It has a BRAND NEW 550CA battery that we just put on it thinking that would fix it. Is this just what winches do?

·
Super Moderator
2,404 Posts
I think the current draw specifications are in the owners manual.
You might want to check those and see where the juice goes.
It pulls the most amps when you are on the outer layer which is the way it works out most of the time.
Yes, winches draw lots of amps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look at the winch! What do you see.... Wow it is a starter motor that drives the winch, so yea it will kill a battery quick!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the current draw specifications are in the owners manual.
You might want to check those and see where the juice goes.
It pulls the most amps when you are on the outer layer which is the way it works out most of the time.
Yes, winches draw lots of amps.
Dang! I’ll check it out. Guess it’ll be used more for emergency situations

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
No something is wrong. I have a 4000 lb winch on my machine. Are your letting your motor run while
you are winching. I always winch with the Ranger running, and never have had a problem like you say.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Farmer John. I have the same winch from Harbor Freight and I’m using the stock (really small) Polaris battery that came with my 2019 570 mid. I went with the 3500 badlands because of cost and lower amp draw than the next size bigger. I was worried with the 570 having such a small battery. I use mine for plowing and it’s been working fine .

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would check the machines charging system.. get a multimeter with resistance checking, AC and DC volt testing.

Unplug stator and check none of the stator wires has continuity to earth. Check each stator wire for AC voltage at 2000rpm and compare each wire to look for a big difference. Then check Battey DC voltage at 2000rpm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unless you are pulling a really heavy load with the winch it should not be drawing that kind of current. The current draw is proportional to the load. You have something else wrong with the wiring. I have a Warn 4500# winch and it does not do what you describe is happening to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Long story short I floated my 2012 Polaris ranger crew 800 water went into everything I have a 2500 Badlands winch with remote and 2 batteries hooked up to it I used the winch for 5+ hours with the engine not running and battery never died.....maybe your alternator?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts