Polaris Ranger Forum banner

winch problem

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Rattler123 
#1 ·
Need help with my winch 2014 900 xp le eps If I try to use winch to pull anything the 20 amp fuse for accessories blows everytime, and even blows when just going from out to in. It was installed and wired by my Polaris dealer. The big wires come from the battery to a winch contactor under hood and then split off to a 4 post contactor where the blue and yellow winch wires hook to same 4 post. I did try to bypass the winch contactor and it worked except for my taillights stayed on with key off. I'd like to bypass the accessory fuse and run straight to battery if possible but don't care how it is wired to work as long as it works. any advice would be appreciated

#2 ·
Winch wiring

I just checked my 2011 ranger 800 xp le, with a 4500 Polaris winch wired by the dealer. The heavy black and red wires come from the battery to the center two terminals on the winch contactor. The two heavy wires to the winch are connected to the outside terminals. The small black and green wires go from the winch contactor to the plug for the winch control. A red/white striped wire comes from the winch control plug to the keyed power post by the fuses.
I know yours is a different machine, but I would think it should be wired similarly. It sound like yours is trying to draw all the power through the fuse. The only power going through that fuse should be the power to engage the winch contactor either in or out.

#3 ·
I just checked my 2011 ranger 800 xp le, with a 4500 Polaris winch wired by the dealer. The heavy black and red wires come from the battery to the center two terminals on the winch contactor. The two heavy wires to the winch are connected to the outside terminals. The small black and green wires go from the winch contactor to the plug for the winch control. A red/white striped wire comes from the winch control plug to the keyed power post by the fuses.
I know yours is a different machine, but I would think it should be wired similarly. It sound like yours is trying to draw all the power through the fuse. The only power going through that fuse should be the power to engage the winch contactor either in or out.
Could u send me a pick. I don't think heavy wires from battery are connected that way. I believe mine go to the connector strip to the left of the winch contactor. A pic sure would help. Thx for the advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.