Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plowing today and I pulled the winch in too far. Now the plow is stuck in the raised position. I went to turn the winch knob to freespool but it won't budge. Not sure if there is too much tension on the winch? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was plowing today and I pulled the winch in too far. Now the plow is stuck in the raised position. I went to turn the winch knob to freespool but it won't budge. Not sure if there is too much tension on the winch? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
You may need to extend the winch for just a short burst to take the tension off the cable, if what you have described is correct.

I have had the winch spool in unevenly and the cable jam against the support bars around the spool. There was damage done to the cable and after much time spent trying different things, I eventually cut the winch cable, removed the winch, removed the bolts from the support bars with an impact, and unwound the cable.

I use a short length (5 feet) of 3 inch tie-down strap wound round the spool, and the hook that came with the strap, to raise and lower the plow now.

I have heard of people who swear the cable failed .. when they use it to get out of mud in the spring .. because they jammed up the cable so tightly during the winter months just raising and lowering the plow blade. That's third-hand information, take it for what it's worth (not much!). But I thought I'd mention it. The tow strap I use works well for the blade ... even though it is a pain to string the cable back in for the spring and string the strap back in for the fall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts