Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time four wheeler using only Warn winches on everything from Jeep CJs to my current Suburban. I am awaiting delivery of a new RZR that should be here in about two weeks. I am curious about all the different types of winches available for the RZR. Who makes the one Polaris sells with their brand name on it, it doesn't look like a Warn. And the prices I see on the other brands like Viper, Venom, etc., etc. are about half what the Polaris sells for. What is the quality and dependability of these other winches?

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You can ask most people here about the Viper Max winch. I have never had any trouble out of all the ones I have had. They just came out with the 4500lb with the red synthetic winch line as well. I think you get a better product for less money. I have had warns to break on me, and I am sure some Vipers have as well but they have replacement parts and warranty them just like Warn or other name brands. MotoAlliance is our sponsor they make and sell the Viper Winches and offer us a 5% discount.

Josh

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm kind of glad you asked this so here is my opinion on this winch deal.

If I need a winch for a big Jeep or Suburban I would probably go for a Warn and not much else.

What I have found is that a Warn 3000-4000 pound winch is no better and might even be cheaper built then other brands in that size range. How they command the $500-$600 dollar price tag is beyond me except that they must be going on the quality built in to the big boys that simply is not present in these small winches.

Every Warn ATV winch I have owned has failed me and it sure was not from use or abuse! They coorode from the inside out because Warn gets a very hefty price and makes a big killing on these baby winches that they don't put the good parts into or properly seal.

Don't believe for one second that Warn is actually made in the USA. I asked that question and they never even answered me! I would bet Warn is made in the same China factories as most of the others are made in. The Polaris winch is not a Warn winch at all! I have no idea who actually makes it but I do have one and would never recommend it over the Viper Max I put on the Grizzly at almost $175 less.

My buddy has had a Warn 8500 pound winch on his Jeep for over 10 years and used and abused it right along with zero problems. I've had four Warn 3000 pound winches on various ATVs and rarely used any of them but every one didn't work when I needed them most! Pull the covers off only to find rusted innards!

I will be keeping a very close eye on the Polaris and Viper winches I now own and I will slam them just as quickly if they rust on the inside like the Warns all have. I almost never submerge any of my winches so the water probably gets in from the garden hose and that is simply not right!

For those who use a high preasure washer I highly recommend that you avoid the winch with the preasure but if they are well made it should be able to handle a good spray.

Warn failed us all miserably which is exactly why Polaris found another maker. Warn made a big fortune selling toy winches to us and stuck it where the sun don't shine when they failed. Up until a few months ago I had three Warns sitting here and all needed almost $100 in repair parts to get them fixed. Nothing but toys and PURE GARBAGE in my humble opinion!

Gary

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well this is where I have a different opinion than the ones already shared, Having owned 12 Warn Winches since my first 9000 lb'er in 1999, I have never had one fail, in addition when used with the appropriate application I've yet to witness one break down on the job.

Now what I am sad about is that I have always ordered my winches as part of the package deal, and have always paid a premium for this service, well that all ended this weekend because of my new friend (who I met because of this site) found a company who sells them for not 599.99 but for $369.99 delivered and they come with the cool toggle switch that the dealers never seem to understand I want.. Also I ordered mine last Fri. at 2pm and it arrived the next day (Saturday) all with no extra charge..

So for me it's still Warn, and the company I think we should ask to be a sponsor that I got it from is motosport.com or 1 877 674 3571, Josh if I posted this and was not supposed to let me know and I'll change it to "is available upon request"..

Josh I suggested to the young boy on the line and possible business venture and he said hhhmmmmmm with some interest, you might call them and see..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I will totally agree with you on Warns big winches. I just have never owned one of the toy models, 2500-3500 pound that lasted more then a couple of seasons. Every one of them cooroded indside under where you connect the battery cables.

Gary

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't mind people posting about where to get good deals, However I am sold on Viper but for the members I will check with motosport and see if they would sponsor us.

Josh

·
Registered
635 Posts
GRAZOR said:
I will totally agree with you on Warns big winches. I just have never owned one of the toy models, 2500-3500 pound that lasted more then a couple of seasons. Every one of them cooroded indside under where you connect the battery cables.

Gary
I hear yeah, that by the way was my only bigun', the rest have been the little ones, but as I am now going to do my first ever install, you have given me a great idea, I'm going to rtv, every bolt and crack..

·
Registered
507 Posts
My dad ordered a 3000# for his quad. I don't remember if it was a venom or a viper winch, but I could sure tell the quality was not near what my Warn is. I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for. Now, with that being said, if you only use your winch for the occasional, get out of a mud hole 1 or 2 times a year, I am sure the cheaper winches will last a long time.

Whichever winch you decide on, I believe in maintenance, and will pull my winch apart at the end of the summer to lube everything up and to ensure no water is left inside to corrode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts