Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to get a windshield for my 2014 570 LE mid-size and would like to hear from folks that are currently using a windshield on their unit.

I know there are several options such as full size, half-size, flip-out, etc. I have also heard that if you get a front windshield, it is strongly recommended to get a rear windshield due to the increase in dust entering the cab, because of the airflow change from the front windshield. I would really be interested to hear from folks who have field experience using their windshields. I would like to hear about what windshield you chose, why you chose it, is it doing what you were expecting it to do, would you do anything differently now, etc.

My primary purpose of getting a windshield is to keep the chill out of the cab during the fall/winter from cold air rushing onto your face. A secondary reason, would be to cut down on the amount of bugs that become part of my diet :).

Thanks!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not sure what Polaris makes for your rig, but I have a Polaris full hardened poly on mine. Works great, very scratch resistant. I also have the rear poly window. These DO NOT stop the dust. Half doors helped, but you need goggles and a wolfsnout if the roads/trails you ride are really dusty.

Take the front windshield off, leave the rear on = NO DUST. Eye protection is a must if you go with this setup. Keep your windshield handy for when the cold weather hits. The front windshield and half doors allow me to ride every day in the winter. Good luck!:eek:

Oh yea, mine was part of a package deal when I bought the Ranger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got the Poly tip out from Polaris on mine, it is simply OK nothing more the grommet that holds the windshield closed or partial open sux had to add a small bungee tried 3 brand new ones... Also the tip out makes it harder to add a wiper, but I like the airflow from the tip out in the summer... Good vs Bad ;)

Adding the Rear poly for Christmas, which then I will have to see if the rifle bag will still attach after that :(

Dust comes in, I have also heard the rear window helps, we shall see :rolleyes: but I am after the wind block regardless.. that is some cold wind coming in right now :eek:

·
Registered
871 Posts
If u want to truly be happy, bite the bullet, and get the glass tip out and glass back panel. That way u can adjust to ur needs. Cold out, leave it shut. Nice summer day and u want the wind open it all the way up, for 90% of the yr u will have it open part way.

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
Kolpin is good quality. Look at the two piece tip out hardcoat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies! Good info!

Thanks for your replies! Good info! It's looking like the flip-out one might be the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Hi,
I would like to get a windshield for my 2014 570 LE mid-size and would like to hear from folks that are currently using a windshield on their unit.

I know there are several options such as full size, half-size, flip-out, etc. I have also heard that if you get a front windshield, it is strongly recommended to get a rear windshield due to the increase in dust entering the cab, because of the airflow change from the front windshield. I would really be interested to hear from folks who have field experience using their windshields. I would like to hear about what windshield you chose, why you chose it, is it doing what you were expecting it to do, would you do anything differently now, etc.

My primary purpose of getting a windshield is to keep the chill out of the cab during the fall/winter from cold air rushing onto your face. A secondary reason, would be to cut down on the amount of bugs that become part of my diet :).

Thanks!
I have a Polaris accessories catalog and it has numerous windshields available for your rig. There are at least 4 different ones available with increases in cost, per quality. See your dealer and look at the catalog to see what you want or need.

·
Registered
163 Posts
as with pretty much everything we buy for our rides, it really does come down to where and how you ride. If your riding relatively flat open trails, gravel roads or doing work around your property any Lexan hard coat windshield will do the job! If you are riding in the woods on tight trails where tree limbs and brush regularly punish your windsheild or ride a lot of sand where a plexi windshield will basically get sandblasted it probably makes more sense to invest in a glass windshield that will also stand up to a wiper if you choose to add one!
Personally, I have fabed my own coated Lexan panels since I have ready access to the Lexan and have basically zero investment! While this arrangement works out great from a financial stand point, glass would be a much better option for the tight wooded trails I frequent!

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
windshield

I have a xp 900 with fixed glass front wiper ready and polly rear on mine.. helps with dust bust doesnt stop it.. i would strongly advise to stay away from poly rear window they suck for scratches had mine out of box for 20 min and somehow i had a 3 inch scratch in it.. love my glass windshield wish it was a tipout on hot days but owell, plus my insurance man said with full coverage all glass is covered free like a car so bring on trees and rocks haha..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased a 2015 570 midsize a couple months ago. I got the hardcoat poly fixed windsheild, the poly rear panel, and the roof. I love em. I do alot of different stuff, trail rides with brush and dustly trails. I haven't really noticed that much dust. It all does pretty well. Only thing i would do different is a tip out windsheild for hot weather!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2014 570 crew with the Polaris full roof and full front windshield.

I ride on the road 90% and the inside of mine is completely filled with dust at all times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I built a windshield from out of 1.5" angle iron with a piece of flat iron down the middle. Had the local glass shop put a piece of bus windshield safety glass on each side. Cost 90 bucks all together for a real tempered auto windshield. Wind shield only goes about 80% percent of the way down then I put a piece of poly so I can remove it during the summer and get some airflow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts