Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 2021 Crew 1000 Premium with OEM wiper. i have some limited electrical knowledge. Lights on switch operable, Washer works normally. Wiper does nothing when I push the switch. I disconnected the harness just before the wiper motor. Checked red and black wires, getting 12 volts with the switch off. Zero with the switch on. The relay does click when you operate the switch.

I pulled the cover off the wiper motor and discovered that the motor was hot. I turned the key off and let it cool down. Turned key on with the wiper switch off, motor got hot within about 30 seconds.

Seems to me that perhaps the relay is bad (open when should be closed and vice versa). But, if the motor is getting 12 volts with the switch off, why is the motor hot, but not running? How do i test this other than just buying a new relay?

BTW, there are 2 relays—smaller ones in a harness with a 20a fuse that seems to be for the washer. The larger one has 5 blades and seems to operate the wiper.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If it's getting hot with the switch off, that's not a good sign. If it were me, I'd start testing everything in the circuit. Since you have limited electrical knowledge, pictures of everything are going to help with explaining what and how to test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll get pictures when I can. I did find the description of the wires in the harness to the motor just to be sure.

Red-Connector, Bullet, Wiper Motor, Operation
Black-Connector, Bullet, Wiper Motor, Ground
Green-Connector, Bullet, Wiper Motor, Park
Yellow-Connector, Bullet, Wiper Motor, B+ Switched

Turned the key on and this is what I observed
From the red, I get constant power (seems normal)
From the yellow, I get constant power--doesn't change when I operate the switch (seems like it should switch on an off with the switch?)
From the green, I get nothing (seems like this should be constant hot as well?)

If my assumptions are correct, it seems like either the switch or the relay? Motor may certainly be bad as well, but seems like an issue before we even get to the motor?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Is there a wiring diagram for this system or do you know the Polaris part number?

My guess is that the following is the main fuse and the relay that powers the washer pump.

Hand Camera accessory Finger Circuit component Gadget

And this is the relay that powers the wiper motor

Gas Font Circuit component Electronics accessory Electric blue

As far as testing, the first smaller one should get voltage across terminals 1 and 2 when the switch is activated and the second larger one should do the same for terminals 85 and 86. This is the first step to check. The easiest is to pull the individual relay and check the terminals while activating the switch. My guess from seeing the components is that the switch is a off-on-on(momentary possibly) but I'm unsure of the specific pinout. First on position should activate the large relay, and the second on position should activate both the large and small relays.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for the details here.

Part number for the kit is 2883974. Not sure about the schematic.

You are correct about the switch, it is on-off-momentary. On position activates the large relay, momentary only activates the small one. Not sure if the wipers are supposed to come on with the washer or not, but only one relay at a time.

I pulled both relays, getting switched voltage between 1 and 2 on the small one--only when the washer (momentary) is activated. On the big one, no voltage between 85 and 86 with switch in any position.

I am, however, getting constant power between 30 and 87a, regardless of the key position. For that one, activating the "on" position of the switch interrupts that connection.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I pulled both relays, getting switched voltage between 1 and 2 on the small one--only when the washer (momentary) is activated.
That's a good sign

On the big one, no voltage between 85 and 86 with switch in any position.

I am, however, getting constant power between 30 and 87a, regardless of the key position. For that one, activating the "on" position of the switch interrupts that connection.
This stumps me. The no voltage from 85 to 86 would lead me to believe something in front of this might be an issue (like something in the switch), but the fact the switch part of the relay is moving when the switch activates says the complete opposite. The constant power between 30 and 87a is the expected result from the normal closed side of the relay. This connection opens and the connection between 30 and 87 closes when the relay is triggered.

Testing for the trigger voltage is the first step, testing that the switching is actually taking place is the next step. But this step has multiple tests. One you want to see if you can hear and feel the "click" of the solenoid. Two you want to use a continuity tester to make sure the relay switch is actually connecting everything properly electrically. And three, you want to use a noid light to make sure those connections are transmitting current with an actual load on them.

I'm going to try and poke around and see if I can find a wiring diagram for this as well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I haven't had any luck with a wiring diagram, is it possible you can label the relay pin numbers with the wire color that they go to. Also the switch would be a big help.

The main issue I'm having is not knowing what "B+" on the wiper motor is. Obviously 12V and ground are self explanitary, and park is to get the wiper back when the switch is turned off, but I don't know what "B+" is for. I also don't know if this is switching power or ground. I'm thinking that there is circuitry within the wiper motor unit and that "B+" is a switched ground to activate the wiper motor. But without being there and you having "limited electrical knowledge" be forewarned this could get fairly complicated. So it's best to take it slow and one step at a time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'll get that when I can.

Still sounds like we need to confirm that the relay is actually working properly? I know it clicks, but it could still be not making connection--correct? How do I go about using the continuity tester to make sure the relay is actually making connection when it operates? Just didn't want to assume too much here about precisely what to do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you tried putting 12v to the wiper motor? Does the wiper have a return to home function (it always stops in the same place) if it does, is the wiper in the home position?

If it does have this feature and its not in the home position that would explain the power on in the off position.

your first step should be putting 12V to the motor though

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ok, I'll get that when I can.

Still sounds like we need to confirm that the relay is actually working properly? I know it clicks, but it could still be not making connection--correct? How do I go about using the continuity tester to make sure the relay is actually making connection when it operates? Just didn't want to assume too much here about precisely what to do.
Yes, that is correct, the relay can click but still not make the electrical connections.

As far as testing continuity, that depends on the multimeter you have. If you post a pic of your meter I can tell you what settings to put it on. Depending on the MM, you might use the Ohm setting or the diode setting, but it's best if your meter has the following symbol

Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Number

·
Registered
614 Posts
Perfect.

Negative on 85 to 86, that is the coil side of the relay so the continuity test there won't do any good.

87a to 30 should have tone when the coil is unpowered, then when power is applied to 85/86 the switch should move and the tone should stop.

87 to 30 should be opposite. It should have no tone when unpowered and then have tone once power is applied to 85/86.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, here are the results. Unplugged, I get a tone between 87a and 30. When I turn on the key to the Ranger (switch still off), relay clicks and I then get a tone between 87 and 30. When I turn the wiper switch to on, the relay clicks again and goes back to a tone between 87a and 30.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok, here are the results. Unplugged, I get a tone between 87a and 30. When I turn on the key to the Ranger (switch still off), relay clicks and I then get a tone between 87 and 30. When I turn the wiper switch to on, the relay clicks again and goes back to a tone between 87a and 30.
Thats proper operation… any luck putting 12V to the motor?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Unplug the switch and run the test again, just to see if the relay activates with key power. It appears that the relay is working, but further testing and documenting is required to know if that is the intended function or if something is wrong.

Thats proper operation… any luck putting 12V to the motor?
How confident are you that the relay is wired to be constantly on with key power and tripped off with the switch? What leads you to this confidence, experience, documentation, you have the same setup, etc.?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts