Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
‘21 XP 1000 crew. New in June, 70 miles on it. Sometimes when I park on hills, going up or down, it can be a real hassle to get out of park. Since there is no parking brake or e-brake, it relies on the trans to hold it, so I can see how it would bind sometimes, but still it shouldn’t be this hard. Is anyone else having this issue or is there a known fix or adjustment needed? I have no other shifting issues.

· Registered
23 Posts
If you do not use EBS (Engine breaking system). Basically when traveling you will need to use the brake when going down hill). There is a service bulletin out to repair. Check with you dealer. I just did mine and the cost (loosing EBS), was worth the reward. No cost while under warranty.

· Registered
1 Posts
‘21 XP 1000 crew. New in June, 70 miles on it. Sometimes when I park on hills, going up or down, it can be a real hassle to get out of park. Since there is no parking brake or e-brake, it relies on the trans to hold it, so I can see how it would bind sometimes, but still it shouldn’t be this hard. Is anyone else having this issue or is there a known fix or adjustment needed? I have no other shifting issues.
I took mine into the dealership for the same issue, they originally told me it was an adjustment and they completed said adjustment. That did not resolve the issue so I took it in again after contacting Polars, I opened an "Ask Polaris" case. Again they did not fix it, I eventually had a new clutch replaced and it still shifted hard. They ended up putting in a delete kit that took out the engine braking, that and adjusted the belt so it did not ride against the clutch sheave. After they deleted the engine braking the hard shifting stopped! I hope that helps.

· Registered
7 Posts
Same thing with my 20 north star. I have learned not to park on inclines.
My question is : Has anyone broken the shifting assembly cranking on it out of park. It’s scary when it happens.
My 2019 1000xp crew I've broken 3 shift levers now. They are very cheap weak material (cast zinc?) I've aligned clutches, done gillomen clutch kit, ebs lockout shim, and replaced 1-way bearing for the 2 way. Never got any better. Even with belt off it's hard shifting. Right now I have a piece of pipe over the stub that remains. I also just broke the secondary clutch bolt trying to add/remove shims trying to find any improvement as it seems to just get worse. Now I have to figure out how to get the broken bolt out. They sure went cheap on these things. But not the price.
Adding that this is not on inclines, this has happened on flat ground. Turning machine off does not help.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
My 2019 1000xp crew I've broken 3 shift levers now. They are very cheap weak material (cast zinc?) I've aligned clutches, done gillomen clutch kit, ebs lockout shim, and replaced 1-way bearing for the 2 way. Never got any better. Even with belt off it's hard shifting. Right now I have a piece of pipe over the stub that remains. I also just broke the secondary clutch bolt trying to add/remove shims trying to find any improvement as it seems to just get worse. Now I have to figure out how to get the broken bolt out. They sure went cheap on these things. But not the price.
Adding that this is not on inclines, this has happened on flat ground. Turning machine off does not help.
If your secondary is NOT spinning at idle in park. Then your problem is most likely the detent star and Pawl. Easy to get to and inspect.

· Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
175 Posts
This has happened on my 2017. I got mine out of the predicament by opening up the shift linkage slot in my dash and there was a wire or spring which I moved out of the way to get the shift lever to move.

I put on a brake thingy. But on mine when I engage the brake thingy the brake lights are locked on.

I try not to use park as much as possible. Because that thing was stuck hard!

· Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
175 Posts
The brake lights turn off after a few minutes. They are LEDs and use teensy power.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I haven't used it because I didn't know the brake lights went off. The brake thingy was easy to install and works.

· Registered
7 Posts
If your secondary is NOT spinning at idle in park. Then your problem is most likely the detent star and Pawl. Easy to get to and inspect.

Ok I finally got around to checking the detent star and pawl and pulling it apart. The roller and everything was intact, roller spins easy.
Hand tool Wood Metal Thumb Nail

Tool Wood Nickel Household hardware Fashion accessory

With the spring out I can easily shift with 1 hand turning the bell crank. As soon as I put the spring back in it binds up. Like its too stiff putting too much pressure on the detent star causing it to bind up.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim Auto part

Gear Engineering Auto part Machine Nut

I've put it all back together and sealed, no change it shifting, still very hard to shift. Need to use it and have a camping trip next week. But it's narrowed down to the spring and pawl. I'll plan on ordering new pawl to see if that helps?? Maybe the roller binds under spring pressure but was smooth rolling while pushing with my fingers. Unless anyone has any other ideas. Thanks everyone.

· Registered
2021 Ranger Nortstar Ultimate
21 Posts
Same here with our new one, I just try and park on the level from here on out.

· Administrator
1,671 Posts
There are several different problems being discussed in this thread.

If your Ranger shifts fine except when you park on a hill and then you can't get it out of park the problem is the parking pawl won't release because of the pressure applied to it from being parked on a hill. There is no fix for this except don't park on a hill or get a brake thingy.

If your Ranger is hard to shift all the time and tends to grind when you try to shift the problem is usually the clutch not fully releasing because of misalignment or other clutch defect.

If it is hard to shift all the time the problem is sometimes a bad shifter cable or something binding up in the shifter handle.

If it is hard to shift or really easy to shift and possibly sometimes won't shift at all or sometimes doesn't go completely in gear or sometimes comes out of gear when you are driving you might have a problem with the star detent pawl, usually caused by the roller shaft breaking.

There might be other causes but these are the most common.

· Registered
7 Posts
There are several different problems being discussed in this thread.

If your Ranger shifts fine except when you park on a hill and then you can't get it out of park the problem is the parking pawl won't release because of the pressure applied to it from being parked on a hill. There is no fix for this except don't park on a hill or get a brake thingy.

If your Ranger is hard to shift all the time and tends to grind when you try to shift the problem is usually the clutch not fully releasing because of misalignment or other clutch defect.

If it is hard to shift all the time the problem is sometimes a bad shifter cable or something binding up in the shifter handle.

If it is hard to shift or really easy to shift and possibly sometimes won't shift at all or sometimes doesn't go completely in gear or sometimes comes out of gear when you are driving you might have a problem with the star detent pawl, usually caused by the roller shaft breaking.

There might be other causes but these are the most common.
Hey sorry for not posting an update. So after I got mine put back together it was easy to shift from the crank by hand, disconnected the cable moved freely. But once I connected the shift cable it was the same, hard to shift and and would bind up under any load or incline. As I was loading onto the trailer for a camping trip I was halfway up ramps and needed to back up and I could not get out of L range. My shift cable snapped trying to get out of gear. After replacing the shift cable all my shifting problems were SOLVED! The broken one was not pinched, kinked, or any obvious problems that I could see but something was wrong with it to be causing these issues. Makes me wonder how many bad shift cables these have from the factory.

· Registered
184 Posts
I have found at times getting out of park on an incline can be solved by if you and passengers "rock" the machine by moving your weight back and forth in the cab while trying to shift. It will often free up just enough pressure on the gears to allow it to shift.

That being said, we have also had instances that we have needed to use a another machine to push the pressure off a stuck machine if you are parked on a super steep hill

· Registered
5 Posts
I just joined the forum and happened to see this problem. I see lots of advice in response. I agree with everyone that says get a park brake. I've owned a number of Polaris side by sides since they first came out. I have installed a park brake on every one of them. For one thing, just the safety aspect of a park brake on a steep incline vs. the park mechanism which is susceptible to failure. The park brakes are inexpensive and easy to install. I would think that Polaris would equip their machines with a park brake per all of the reasons stated here.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
I just joined the forum and happened to see this problem. I see lots of advice in response. I agree with everyone that says get a park brake. I've owned a number of Polaris side by sides since they first came out. I have installed a park brake on every one of them. For one thing, just the safety aspect of a park brake on a steep incline vs. the park mechanism which is susceptible to failure. The park brakes are inexpensive and easy to install. I would think that Polaris would equip their machines with a park brake per all of the reasons stated here.
They all were equipped up until 2012. My 04 500 and 12 800 came with parking brakes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts