Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a used 2011 Ranger EV side by side. My problem is that after a small amount of driving, I turned off the switch to do something when I got back on to go again the wrench shows up and then it won’t go forward or back. It has done this to us twice. After a little while it comes out of it and it begins to work normal again. I have cleaned the battery terminals, checked for loose connections, etc.-can’t find the source of the problem. Has anyone had this happen to their EV? HELP!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Do your headlights work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I’m pretty sure. I’ll check to make sure tomorrow. Thank you for responding.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Could be a faulty main contactor. Does it go clonk then clonk again when you turn it on. Thats the contactor going on then off again. If the controller doesnt see the correct voltage withing a certain time it turns off again, controller is still live but power is not available.

Check what the number of flashes on the sevcon controller are. Under drivers seat, take out the tray and light should be visible.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We recently bought a used 2011 Ranger EV side by side. My problem is that after a small amount of driving, I turned off the switch to do something when I got back on to go again the wrench shows up and then it won’t go forward or back. It has done this to us twice. After a little while it comes out of it and it begins to work normal again. I have cleaned the battery terminals, checked for loose connections, etc.-can’t find the source of the problem. Has anyone had this happen to their EV? HELP!

Sounds like this maybe a new machine for you so will mention a basic feature of the EV. After you turn off the key switch then turn it back on you must move the forward, neutral, reverse switch to neutral to deactivate the safety feature. Then move it to forward or reverse. It’s retarded I know but that’s how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
727 Posts
Make sure it is in neutral before you turn off the switch.

The wrench will come on if in forward or reverse when the switch is turned on, but selecting neutral will turn it off.

Also make sure your foot is not on the accelerator when turning the switch on or selecting forward or reverse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Could be a faulty main contactor. Does it go clonk then clonk again when you turn it on. Thats the contactor going on then off again. If the controller doesnt see the correct voltage withing a certain time it turns off again, controller is still live but power is not available.

Check what the number of flashes on the sevcon controller are. Under drivers seat, take out the tray and light should be visible.
Six flashes. The ev use to go for a ways before the wrench light came on. But, now the light comes on within two seconds of turning the switch on. It is in neutral and the accelerator is not touched, and the park brake is off. I don’t know what to do next to fix it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Do the lights work.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Headlights

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have done all of these things you mentioned but the wrench light still comes on within a second or two when I turn the ignition switch on again. And the vehicle won’t move of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the chart you posted the six blinks indicate a throttle input error. What might be the next step in correcting this?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try lifting the throttle pedal up before you turn the ign key. If the controller sees a throttle value above 20% it wont start and will give fault 6. This is to stop the vehicle moving off as soon as the ign is turned on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I held the throttle up, (which it actually was already all the way up), and the wrench light still came on when I turned the switch on. Tried it several times, no improvement. I took the throttle sensor off and cleaned up the area where it fits onto the shaft of the throttle. Also checked the plug-in there. That looked clean and dry. The wrench light still comes on. Do you have another suggestion?

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you have the throttle section off the pedal, look at the direction of travel and make
sure its fully turned towards rest. Try the ign again. If its internally work it might not be physically getting the pot guts to 0. Even though the physical pedal is going to its sprung rest. Worth a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2010 EV. I found that if I had the switch for the drive wheels in the bottom position (of the three modes) for 2 wheel drive and the range switch set to medium (middle position) and in neutral that the wrench light would not come on. You may have to select different switch settings for the computer to be happy.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you have the throttle section off the pedal, look at the direction of travel and make
sure its fully turned towards rest. Try the ign again. If its internally work it might not be physically getting the pot guts to 0. Even though the physical pedal is going to its sprung rest. Worth a try.
What do you mean “throttle section”? Are you talking about the throttle sensor or the part on the end of the throttle shaft?
I appreciate your help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts