Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fan on my 2021 xp1000 northstar is coming on. The fuse is good, and I unhooked the temp sensor and the fan kicked on. I'm not sure where or if there is a relay for the fan on these? Im beating my head against the wall.

· Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate Crew
324 Posts
So your fan is not coming on when you feel it should be? What is the engine temp running at? The fan should be pwm controlled meaning it is supplied with power and ground and a signal wire which commands it to a certain speed based on the ecm calibrated temp range or in this case a fault condition. Let’s say your machine ecm is still stock. The fan should start around 205 degrees and ramp to full speed when it hits the high point, for instance 260 degrees (dont quote me on this setting). So if your temp doesn’t reach that minimum set point during these colder months, the fan shouldn’t come on. If the engine temp on your cluster is showing higher than 205 with no fan it seems as there might be an issue with the ect sensor. I say this because you already performed the last step here and disconnected the ect harness and the fan took off. Check for dirty terminals on the ect sensor and retest.

IMO all of your wiring is good because when the ect sensor is unplugged the ecm commands the fan to a predetermined speed based on a faulty sensor. Also the temp sensor must be reading some sort of resistance within spec if the fan does not engage when the harness is connected. Perhaps you could hit the engine with a laser temp gun to verify what the dash says is close to what the thermal gun reads. Might not be 100% spot on but should be close enough.
Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue Rectangle

Font Parallel Engineering Cylinder

1 - 7 of 7 Posts